Bugs - Knowledgebase Question

Roscoe, Il
Question by joewood2
I have bugs attack my asparagus every year. The bugs are a green and hard to see. What can be used to eliminate or control them?

0

Sounds like you aren't the only ones enjoying the asparagus! Your culprit sounds like the Asparagus beetle. It's hard to apply insecticides to control the beetles because they fly away quickly. This fall, remove all the dead ferns and mulch from the patch, and apply fresh compost and mulch. This should remove /disturb most of the pupae. In spring, cover your patch with a summer-weight floating row cover as spears begin to emerge, and leave it in place til the end of harvest. This will prevent the beetles from laying eggs. Hope this helps!