New Landscaping - Knowledgebase Question

Quincy, MA
Question by rflynn
I live in zone 6. I want to do some landscaping on a sloped, 20' by 8' sunny lot. Do you have any suggestions for shrubs, bushes, etc. (preferably with some flowering shrubs)? This area is directly in front of my house, so I would love something unusual.

0

There are literally thousands and thousands of plants to choose from! You might visit some neighbors' gardens, botanical gardens, and/or your library (to find some books with photos) to see what suits your fancy. Off the top of my head, I'll suggest a few ideas--but please do research the huge range of options you have!

My hunch is that you are a new gardener, so I suggest starting with some reliable plants. You may not want to plant the whole area this first year--just get a feel for your soil, temperatures, shade patterns, etc. A mix of flowering shrubs, evergreen bushes, and perennials would be nice.

A few shrubs: butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii), viburnum, dwarf boxwood (evergreen, non-flowering)

Perennials: artemisia, asters, coreopsis, bearded iris, peonies, phlox, salvia, speedwell, Shasta daisy, coneflowers

Have fun!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"