Dwarf Yaupon Holly burnt tips - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, So
Question by Snicker3126
Recently planted 13 Dwarf Yaupon Holly plants and put pine straw around them. Some of the Dwarf Yaupon Hollies have burnt looking tips. They are watered everyday with a drip hose for at least an hour. Any advice on what we can do? Thank you.
Dd

0

I'm thinking you're overwatering your new hollies. They need about an inch of water per week for healthy growth and the soil needs to dry out slightly between waterings. I don't know what size emitters you are using but even a .05 GPH is too much if you leave the system on for an hour each time. Try taking your hollies off the drip system for now - at least until they are established and hand watering once a week, allowing the water to slowly penetrate to the root system. About one inch of water per plant per week should be your goal.