gardening - Knowledgebase Question

oberlin, Oh
Question by jkalemba513
I live next to a field where they have a larger quanity of lime stored. I was wondering if there is any precautions I need to take when it comes to putting my garden in. one of the vegetable gardens sit right next to where they are storing the lime. I just dont want to loss my veggies if this could be harmful. The wind can be terrible and I did not know if the drifting would be a problem.

0

If your soil is acidic, you can add lime but don't add it just because it is available (and the price is right). Too much lime can upset the soil's pH and you'll end up some real problems when growing some plants and some vegetables. Have your soil tested. If the soil test recommends using lime, you can apply it in the fall. Drifting lime shouldn't fall on your soil in any great volume so I don't think that's much of a concern. Good luck with your garden!