Container Growing of Indeterminate Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, PA
Question by ojfinn2
I have grown both San Marzano and Bush Better Boy tomatoes on a rooftop container garden for the past five years. I'm interested in growing Burpee Long-Keeper Tomatoes in containers as well, but I'm fearful that a indeterminate variety will become unmanageable. Is there any specific way to prune indeterminate varieties to make them more compact for container gardening? Since it's already mid-May, can I plant seeds directly in the container without using a peat pot or some other device for germination?

0

You can certainly direct seed into the container, assuming the soil temperature is warm.

Unfortunately, healthy indeterminate tomatoes can grow very large. You might try growing them on a trellis so that you can direct and control their growth into a manageable pattern. Unfortunately there really is no way to keep them both compact and producing well.