Tabebuia Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Hollywood, Fl
Question by acarman
We have two Tabebuia trees in full sun - one is 13 feet tall They never flower, are leafless all year long, and respond to (16-4-8) fertilizer by producing a few leaves dotted with brown spots - leaves which soon will fall off. The trees appear deficient in something but what? I have tried fungicides to no avail, magnesium sulfate leaves them cold, even extra watering hasn't changed their mood..

0

I don't know how long your trees have been planted or how long they have been behaving this way so I wonder if it would help to dig them up, check the drainage in the planting area and inspect the roots. If soil drainage is poor, the roots can suffocate. Healthy roots will be creamy white inside; dead or diseased roots will be brown or rusty colored. If the roots look good and the soil isn't soggy, replant them, water them in well and then wait for new growth. If none appears, I'd replace the trees with healthy new specimens. Tabebuia trees are usually very adaptable to Florida soils and weather so it may be that your trees were not healthy when you first planted them and have been declining since first installed. Which I had other suggestions for you.