pine bark disease - Knowledgebase Question

Hereford, Te
Question by radmanimus
my austrian pine trees have bark missing in some areas. some are long stips about3-4 inches long, but most have a skeleton or lattis pattern like a couple of rows of small squares. I don't see any worms or bugs on the tree. what is it and what do I do to take care of it
Thank you, Randy

0

If you do not see insect pests they may already be gone, or you may be dealing with bird damage rather than insect damage. Usually pine bark beetles will drill a little hole in the bark and lay eggs. The eggs hatch and tunnel through the tissues directly beneath the bark. There is no particular pattern but their will be tunnels excavated from their feeding. Birds sometimes peck at trees in search of insects and these can be in a pattern - usually straight rows. Aside from the above, I can't think of anything else that might cause the damage. Raccoons and squirrels can peel the bark off.... Since I don't what is causing the problem I don't have a control or treatment strategy for you. Sorry!