Clay soil - Knowledgebase Question

Greenville, Al
Question by marcycook200
My soil is clay texture and it's very dry. Our rubber, fig & schefflera plants are all potted in this.To avoid over or under watering is it safe to change the soil to top w/potting soil?

0

To give your plants the best chance of survival, I'd recommend replacing the clay soil with either pure potting soil or at least 50/50 potting soil and garden soil. Just putting potting soil over the top of the plants won't change the soil texture but it will help slow evaporation. Potting soil drains quickly yet holds just the right amount of moisture and if you end up mixing it 50/50 your soil will still be able to drain to a better degree than just plain garden soil.Best wishes with your plants!