Removing wilted blossums - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Avatar for y128
Question by y128
May 9, 2009
As I understand it, removing a wilted blossum on a flowering plant is called

Answer from NGA
May 9, 2009
You're close - removing spent flowers is called "deadheading" and if you pinch off the flower along with part of the stem the plant will respond by developing one or two new flowering stems. Cut the old flowers off right away and your plant will quickly grow new flowers. If you do not deadhead spent and faded flowers the plant will spend energy developing seeds instead of additional flowers. So, if the flower is large, cut cut it off the plants with pruners or scissors. If your plant has lots of small blossoms you can just shear them all off at once with scissors. Hope this answers your question.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Hello Pumpkins.."

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.