Sun Damage - Knowledgebase Question

gilbert, Ar
Question by Tbredeson35
I am growing fruits and vegetables and it is very hot and the sun beats down on them all day.I make sure to water them at night so the sun doesnt fry them,but ive been noticing that they are turning brown around the edges and the flowers on them are all wilted.
Is it from the hot sun? If so how do I cover them and if its not do you know what it could be?

0

The Southwest desert has two distinct growing seasons and summer (May - August) is not one of them. The sun is much too hot for most vegetables and flowers during the afternoon hours so if you want to grow flowers and veggies, put them in an area where they will get morning sun and shade from noon until about 5 p.m. Most vegetables are planted in late August for harvest in November and December, or in February for harvest by the first week of May. If your plants are in full sunshine now and you can't move them, you may have to make some shade for them. Nurseries use shade cloth which allows good air circulation by blocks direct sunshine. You can buy it in rolls or in sheets, complete with brass fittings. Drive some stakes into the ground and secure the shade cloth to the stakes - at an angle - so it blocks most of the afternoon sunshine. Your plants should thrive under this protection.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"