Lawn watering - Knowledgebase Question

Uniondale, Ne
Question by stahogan
I have sprinklers and I would like to know how long I should set the timer to water my lawn and garden and how many times every other day

0

How long you set your sprinklers really depends upon your soil type and on the weather. You'll first need to determine how much water your sprinklers put out. Place empty tuna cans or cat food cans on the lawn and turn the sprinklers on. Wait 15 minutes and then check the amount of water in the cans. If it's less than an inch, turn the sprinklers on again and time to see how long it takes to get one inch of water in the cans. This is how long you should set the timer to deliver water. Depending upon water pressure it could be 15-30 minutes or more. Most lawns will be happy with one inch of water per week. If weather is very hot, you may want to water every 4 days. Best wishes with your lawn!