Wisteria Vine - Knowledgebase Question

Hudson, NY
Question by goldfeather
I'm not sure what zone I'm in for growing this plant. My good nieghbor would like to know more about this tree and how to maintain it till it's able to with stand our climate on its own. Please send information plus a picture if possible.

0

Wisteria is a long lived and beautiful spring flowering vine. The blooms are violet and hang in long racemes.

You are in zone 6 and wisteria is hardy in your area.

Wisteria needs full sun and a very sturdy support because it is a large, heavy vine reaching 30 feet or more. It can also be trained into a tree shape by growing it on a single post and pruning it very hard. Eventually the vine will thicken enough to support the "tree" by itself.

If your plant has been indoors, it will need to be gradually acclimated to the outdoors before planting. Unfortunately I can't send a picture, but if you search the internet using the words "wisteria" and maybe "photograph", I'll bet you'll find one.