Green Beans -Central Florida - Knowledgebase Question

Tampa, Fl
Question by loladeans
My grandchildren & I planted green beans seeds back in March. We planted them in a sunny spot near a chain fence so they could climb. When they were about 8 in. tall they developed yellow leaves. Thought they were getting too much water, so reduced water. Then some leaves started turning brown, so increased water. Didn't work either...Help! I have a few other veggies growing, none very well.

0

Pole beans take 55-70 days to mature and March is the best time to plant them. They grow best in full sunshine and it is normal for the lower leaves to yellow and drop. As long as the plants continue to put out new growth, losing the lowest, oldest leaves is normal. They need to be watered twice a week for best growth. Water deeply and slowly to encourage deep roots. You can try feeding your veggies with a general purpose 10-10-10 or use a foliar application such as Miracle Gro to help provide the nutrients they need. You might also try mulching over the soil beneath the plants to help slow evaporation and keep the roots cool. Hope this helps!