Hollyhocks from Seed - Knowledgebase Question

Shoreview, MN
Question by jtorborg
Is it to late this year to plant Hollyhocks in Minnesota?
Can you give me any tips on getting Hollyhocks started? Where should I plant them (shade or full sun, etc.)

If you're growing annual or perennial hollyhocks, you can still plant them, since it's recommended to sow seeds about a week before your last frost date. Biennial species should be planted in early autumn. Prepare the garden bed, and just sprinkle seeds on the surface. They like full sun, and can stand part shade, but most important, they need good air circulation, since they're very succeptible to powdery mildew, so thin seedlings to a foot or more between plants. They prefer a rich, well-drained soil and will put up with a dry soil. Mulch perennial/biennial types well after frost in fall. If you're growing the tall varieties, they may require staking. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"