Maple Tree Pest - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Diane Blum
Brooklyn, Oh
Question by dianemariebl
My 6 year old maple tree has tiny red dots on the leaves this year. The leaves are wilting and dropping off the tree. Can I do anything?

0

The little red dots sound like damage from leaf bladder gall insects. Although the galls look weird, they don't really hurt your tree to any great extent and are not the cause of leaf wilt or leaf drop. Wilting and early leaf drop can be a symptom of water or heat stress, or of something more serious such as a disease. I can't really diagnose the problem without inspecting the tree so you may want to consult an arborist or at least talk with an expert at your local cooperative extension office (in the white pages of your phone book under County offices). Wish I could offer more advice!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"