Cover Crop - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Garden Friend
Millington, TN
Question by tenn68
I want to add some nutrients back into my garden. This year I am not going to plant my entire garden and would like to plant a cover crop that I could till under to give something back to the garden. I have a 70 ft square garden and I am only going to plant about 2/3 of it . Could you help me out?

0

Cover crops are a great way to add organic matter to your soil. Technically speaking, nearly any grass or legume can be used as a cover crop. Buckwheat is a popular choice for home gardens, partly because it is quite easily chopped and tilled under. It does not survive freezing weather, but it develops quickly so you may be able to grow two or even three successive plantings of buckwheat in one season.