mulch - Knowledgebase Question

Danbury, Co
Question by rockett191
I live in a townhouse with a small garden in front. I am in the process of removing all the plants that were already in place before I moved in so that I may start a new garden. There was a layer of mulch around the plants that were already in place. Now that I have removed the plants do I have to remove the old mulch before I plant my new plants?

0

You don't need to remove the mulch. You can leave it where it is or you can rake it out of the way and replace it afer you have planted the bed or you can dig it into the soil and add new mulch after you have planted your new plants. Mulch over the bare soil will help suppress weeds. If you dig old mulch into the soil it will enrich the soil. So however you treat it, it's good for your garden.