peony - Knowledgebase Question

Cliffwood Beach, Ne
Question by BOBCEK977
I have had a peony for 5 years, and it has never gotten flowers. What should I do? It has gotten larger every year, but never flowered.

0

Some peony plants take 2 or 3 years to bloom. A common problem is planting too deep--the crowns should be no deeper than 1-2 inches below the soil surface. Peonies need at least 6 hours of sunlight to bloom. Use a fertilizer high in phosphorus, which promotes bloom, such as 15-30-15. Bone meal is an organic source of phosphorus. Apply in spring just as new growth starts. If your peony still doesn't bloom after feeding this spring, you may want to dig and divide it this fall and replant at the right depth. I hope this info helps.