Yoshino Cherry Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Canton, Ge
Question by whimrider
I have a yoshino cherry tree that was planted by the landscaper when we built the house six years ago. It was fairly good size then and has grown hardily, blooming beautifully each year. This year was no exception. It is now dropping leaves like crazy. I see new growth on the branches and shiny leaves at the end of the branches that are new. The base appears healthy. What is happening??

0

Healthy new growth is an encouraging sign. Cherry trees can drop their leaves if the tree is stressed - heat, drought, cold snap, or even too much rain. It is early enough in the season that I think your tree will replace the lost leaves. In the meantime continue to give it good care but don't fertilize your tree, which might stress it even more. Hope your tree leafs out soon!