Bumble bees - Knowledgebase Question

Gig Harbor, Wa
Question by clwms1
I have read that bumble bees can be ground nesters. I have bees that look like BB but have a different look( yellow on end of body, could they be wasps? They are nesting in a bird nesting box. They attack when bothered.

0

What you describe sound like bald-faced hornets. They are usually ground nesting but are also opportunists so the nesting box seems like a likely place for them to be. They are beneficial in the garden so leave them alone if you can. If you can't live with them, wait until after dark when they are all at home and then cover the nesting box with a black plastic bag and remove it from the garden. If you keep the bag tightly closed and in the sunshine, the hornets will die.