How to plant vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

north tustin, Ca
Question by otramama9
How do I lay out the vegetables as I plant them? I have tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, watermelon.

0

The tall crops such as peas, beans and corn, should be planted on the north side of the vegetable garden. In this way they will not shade the rest of the vegetable crops. In the center of the vegetable garden area, plant the medium sized crops such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, squash, pumpkins and other mediums sized crops. Then at the very southern end of the garden is where the low growing crops like radishes, carrots, beets, lettuce, onions, along with sprawling crops like squash and melons should go along the outer edges so they have lots of room to grow.

Whenever possible, I think the rows in the vegetable garden should run north and south, for best sun exposure and air circulation. If the rows run east and west the first row tends to shade the second row, the second row the third and so forth.

I hope you have a bountiful harvest!