Germinating Moonflower Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Penndel, PA
Question by johncimb
For 3 years I have tried to start moonflowers (evening glory) from seeds. I've tried both indoors and outdoors. The seeds do not sprout. What is the secret?

0

The moonflower vine (Ipomoea alba) is a wonderful flowering vine and well worth the effort to get it started. For whatever reason, it has a very hard seedcoat. The main "secret" to success is to either carefully nick the seedcoat (a razor knife works well) or rub it with sandpaper, then soak it in water over night, then plant it in warm soil (bottom heat will help if indoors). The seedlings should be up and growing within a week. This is a tropical vine and it grows quickly, so be sure all danger of frost is over and the soil has had some time to warm before you plant either your transplants or seeds outdoors.