deer and veg gardens - Knowledgebase Question

Ben Lomond, Ca
Question by Asteph001200
Is it possible to have a vegetable garden with deer around? If so what do I do? I just planted 1/2 my garden to find it had been eaten by deer the following day! Thanks Anne

0

Fencing is really the best solution but you might also consider using some of the repellants on the market. Deer Away is a bitter tasting compound and deer normally avoid it so spraying it in the area may help. Another deterrent is called Ropel. I've also had good success by planting buckwheat around my garden. Deer don't seem to like it and it attracts honeybees, which is good for flowering vegetables. The only concern here is that you will want to knock it down before the flowers develop seeds or you will have a permanent crops of buckwheat. Hope this helps!