No leaves or blooms on Serviceberry - Knowledgebase Question

Ottawa, On
Question by mrsbos
Hello,

I need your advice,we got a service berry last fall however as of now(May21st) we still have no leaves or blooms. There are picks coming out of it but they haven't opened up. Can you tell me if this tree is dead, or due to our weather is it just a slow start. Our crab apple tree is blooming quite nicely, but I'm concerned with the service berry. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Brenda Spearman

0

Since your serviceberry is new to your garden, it may just be taking its time to leaf out. Weather prompts new growth so your spring may have been late in arriving. Serviceberry thrives in full sun but will adapt to a partly shady location. It needs a protected location, though because it will nto thrive in windy or exposed areas. I would give your plant a few more weeks to break dormancy and begin to grow. If it doesn't, try scraping the bark from a few branches with your fingernail. If you see green tissue beneath the bark, the branch is still alive. If the tissue is brown, that part of the branch is dead and should be pruned back. Sometimes pruning will prompt healthy new growth so you won't hurt your serviceberry by pruning it back a little. I hope you see new growth soon!