What to do around a tree? - Knowledgebase Question

Waldwick, Ne
Question by roxgti
I have a tree that sits on a small flat surface then leads down a hill onto driveway.The previous owners had big rocks all down the hill and a round the tree. Now having moved it all I am left with a lot of dirt that I worry will wash down with rain. I can't put grass seeds down as it will be impossible to use the lawnmower on the hill. Please any ideas on what I can do?

0

It is difficult, if not impossible to grow grass in the shade of a tree. If you'd like something green and growing rather than rocks or gravel, consider planting a well behaved ground cover. Vinca, Lamium (dead nettle), or pachysandra are all good choices for the shade beneath a tree. You may find even more selections at your garden center. Best wishes with your landscape!