weed control - Knowledgebase Question

tinley park, Il
Question by mjrn01
regarding thistle removal. The thistles have taken over the rock beds surrounding plant beds. pulling the weed (painful even with gloves) seems to make them come back faster. how can I remove them? What weed killer should I use and when?

0

Triclopyr is sold as "Brush-B-Gone" and "Brush-Killer" and can be found next to the product "Weed-B-Gone" at most hardware stores.

Since both are selective herbicides that control ONLY broad-leaved weeds, it's advisable to apply it in the mornings (when it's cool) and when there is little or no wind. I usually cut the tops of the weeds down and then brush or spray it on the remaining crown of the plant. You should begin to see the thistle decline within 3 days after application and die within 10.