weeds - Knowledgebase Question

colfax, No
Question by lostbscout
how do you keep weeds out of your garden. I have tryed sprays and they don't work. Also the ground is so hard for planting what ca I do about that?

0

It sounds to me as though you need to improve your soil with the addition of organic matter to help loosen it and make it easier to dig. I would remove any plants you want to save from the garden bed, then spread 4-5 inches of organic matter over the soil and rototill it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Rake out any weeds the tiller brings up, then rake to level the area. To eliminate future weeds, lay a weed barrier landscape cloth over the entire bed and secure it with anchors, then cut holes or slits in the cloth to plant your plants. Once everything is planted you can cover over the landscape fabric with shredded bark or compost. Best wishes with your garden.