What is happening to my Aztec Trailing Verbena - Knowledgebase Question

Fayetteville, No
Question by psh1010
I have planted Aztec Trailing Verbena in my backyard beside the door to my storage house. One side is blooming well but on the other side of the door there are no blooms, but healthy looking green leaves. Why aren't they blooming? How do I care for them? Do I pinch off or cut back? Thank you. Paula

0

Lack of sufficient sunshine or over-fertilization are about the only things that will keep verbena from blooming. Perhaps the one side of your plantings gets more sun than the other? Withhold fertilizer, water when the soil begins to dry and lightly prune them back to encourage new flowering stems. You can use garden shears or even hedge trimmers to cut the old flowering stems off the plants (or to encourage flowering stems on the non-flowering side). Good luck with your verbena!