What's wrong with the pepper plants? - Knowledgebase Question

Panama City, Fl
Question by sweetsuepar
We are growing several types of pepper plants, one in a 5 gal. bucket that is probably doing the best of all. Several out in the garden are doing fine, a couple are not growing to well and one seems to be stuck and not growing at all. It is not dead, just not growing. Any suggestions? Sue Parker

0

Since one is growing well in a container, and I imagine you've used potting soil in the container, but those in the garden are not growing well, I suspect the garden soil is not quite up to par. Amending garden soil with organic matter prior to planting will greatly improve the performance of your vegetables. It's too late to amend the soil now so try a foliar feeding of your pepper plants (Miracle Gro, for instance) to see if that doesn't help them along. Next year dig some compost, aged manure or other organic matter into the garden bed prior to planting and the roots of your veggies will grow strong and deep and they will be able to develop healthy tops and lots of flowers. Best wishes with your peppers.