Zucchini Flowering But Not Setting Fruit - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, PA
Question by terram
I have a zucchini plant in a container garden. It is producing quite a number of blossoms, but the blossoms are just wilting and dropping off, rather than producing zucchini. Is there anything I can do?

0

Zucchini plants produce separate male and female blossoms. Usually the first blossoms that develop are male, which will wilt and dry up. Female blossoms will eventually be produced by the plant. You can tel lwhich are male and which are female by looking at the stem where the bloom is attached - female blossoms have a swelling, or immature ovary there. It's early in the season, so expect both kinds of blossoms to develop within a few weeks. Zucchini is quite prolific. Soon you'll have more squash than you know what to do with!