japanese maple - Knowledgebase Question

roseville, Ca
Question by taurussf
just planted a jap maple yesterday with burlap in it. location is all day sun. should I uproot? would like to replant in same location. please help

0

Some Japanese maples prefer afternoon shade so check the tag from the plant to see whether yours prefers shade or full sunshine. I'd dig the tree up and remove the burlap. While it will eventually decompose in the soil, it will keep the roots from spreading out adequately and that might cause health problems down the road. You may be able to cut it into strips and pull the burlap out away from the rootmass, or it may be easier to simply dig the entire thing out, remove the burlap, spread the roots a little so they grow outward and then set the tree back into the hole. You want the tree to be at the same soil level as it was growing before and I often set a mound or pile of soil at the bottom of the hole and drape the roots over it so they fall in a natural way. Then backfil with native soil and water deeply to help settle the soil. Best wishes with your maple.