Growing a Vegetable Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Gold Hill, No
Question by kevyandcin
We are getting a late start. My husband chose the spot for our garden already when I got home. The garden will be small 6x10 but the spot is in the shade up until 1:00 to 2:00 in the afternoon and gets the rest of the day sun. Will it grow or should we move the spot?

0

Most flowering vegetables need about 8 hours of sunshine in order to produce. This would include tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, eggplant, etc. Some vegetables will get by with less than 6 hours of sunshine - carrots, lettuces, spinach, peas, radishes, beans and spinach. You can grow full sun veggies in containers or in a different garden spot and use your 6 x 10' garden for veggies more tolerant of less sunshine. Best wishes with your new garden!