planting in the rain - Knowledgebase Question

manchester, Ne
Question by janeybugnh
I bought perennials 7 days ago. I am worried because I haven't put them in the garden yet. Rain is predicted until Saturday now. Please tell me if it's alright to plant them in the raine so they don't sit in small pots because one of the phloxes & one of the coreopsis' is getting yellow leaves. Thanks.

0

If the soil is soggy, it's best not to work the soil. If it drains well and is only mildly damp, you can go ahead and plant. Although the roots of your plants might be stressed in the small pots, they will be even more stressed if they site in soggy soils. The choice is yours but I think I would just leave them in the pots until the soil dries out. Best wishes with your garden!