When to transplant forsythia - Knowledgebase Question

Cary, No
Question by brandon0
Hi, I have a number of forsythia (rather established) that I need to transplant (in Apex, NC). When is the best time to do this, can I do it now (June timeframe), etc.? If I can do it now, is there anything special I should do or be aware of?

thank you very much,
Brandon Smith

0

Now is an excellent time to move your forsythias. If you'd rather wait until this fall when the weather is cooler, you can do some root pruning now to prepare the plants for moving later. Root pruning is simple. Just sink your shovel blade down into the soil as deeply as possible, in rows all around the plants. I alternate by making a hyphenated pattern beginning about 2' from the main stems and extending out about two feet. Best wishes with the move!