Plants that grow near Black Walnut trees - Knowledgebase Question

Parkhill, ON
Question by plauder
I live in zone 5 and have large black walnut trees down one side of my property. What flowering shrubs and plants can I plant in a border flower bed that are compatable with the substance given off by the trees? The bed is approximately 30 feet from the trees.

0

Juglone is the growth inhibiting chemical given out by the roots and leaves of walnut trees. Some plants are more tolerant of the substance than others. Those that are tolerant of juglone include arborvitae, daphne, euonymous, forsythia, pachysandra, redbud, rose of sharon, and most viburnums. Flowers include astilbe, begonia, chrysanthemum, Shasta daisy, daylily, wild ginger, hosta, phlox, pansy, primrose, stonecrop, tulip and zinnia.