Rose Culture - Knowledgebase Question

Paramus, NJ
Question by KDCannata
I would like to know how to promote bud development on my rose bushes. I prune, fertilize and apply preventive disease control but the bushes do not produce that many buds. What am I doing wrong?

0

Some rose bushes produce more blossoms than others, just by virtue of parentage. For optimum blossoms your bushes should be in an area where they receive at least eight hours of sunshine a day. If they receive less than that, they may grow lots of new leaves, but will have few blooms. When you feed your roses, choose a fertilizer low in nitrogen and high in phosphorous and potassium. Nitrogen promotes vegetative growth, where phosphorous encourages flowers. Too much nitrogen will encourage the plant to grow lush and green, at the expense of blossoms. Better luck with your roses this summer.