Peach tree blooms - Knowledgebase Question

Greenbrier, Te
Question by gator1433
It produced one peach.Ants were going up and down the tree.I sprayed with a soapy insecticide and now the leaves are curling and have purple spots. ????

0

Peach trees can develop gummosis which is where sap leaks out on branches or trunk bark. This sweet substance attracts ants. Insecticidal soaps won't stop ants but can burn the leaves of your peach tree. You probably can't control the gummosis but you can control the ants. A product called Tanglefoot is extremely sticky and will stop ants from marching up the trunk. Wrap the trunk with crepe paper or other material that will cling to the ridges of the bark and not allow ants access beneath. Smear Tanglefoot on the paper. When it is full of ants, remove and replace. You can also set ant traps with boric acid as the main ingredient. They will take the boric acid back to their nests and feed it to the colony. Eventually the ants will be gone and your tree should be ant free. Peach trees are considered self fertile but I think they set a better crop when there is a second peach variety in the landscape. Poor pollination may be why your tree set only one peach. Immaturity is another possibility. I hope this information helps you determine just what is going on with your tree.