Palms & Lawn Fertilizing - Knowledgebase Question

Corpus Christi, Te
Question by maria_luis
What is the best fertilizer to use on St. Augustine grass near where palm trees are planted? I have several types of palm trees in my yard: King, Queen, Foxtail, and Phoenix R. I normally use Scotts Weed & Feed and has been great on the lawn, but I'm told it is not good for my palm trees. Is this true?

0

It's true - the broadleaf weed killers in weed and feed products (2,4-D) can translocate to the roots of your palms and cause problems so I'd avoid using it on the grassy areas near the palm trees - just to avoid future problems. You can certainly feed your lawn in those areas, just don't use the weed and feed product. Instead, apply a high nitrogen, slow release ferilizer with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK. This way your turf and your palms will get the nitrogen they need. You can even use a ferilizer with iron to help both the palms and the lawn stay green. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"