australian tree fern, care - Knowledgebase Question

cabot, Ar
Question by smbrunner
After having planted my Australian Tree fern one week ago, now the fronds turned brown and brittle. According to the meter, the plant has ample water. pH and light. Is it transplant shock or something else? What do I need to do to help recover my plant?

0

I think a little transplant stress is affecting your new tree fern. Once it adjusts to its new growing environment it should perk up. Australian tree ferns like sunshine but may need protection from hot afternoon sun in your growing region. The browning fronds might indicate that conditions are too sunny or too shady for it. The trees require moist but well-draining soil, and it's always important to water thoroughly each time you apply water so the entire root mass gets wet. It isn't unusual for the lower, older fronds to die off, so if the browning is concentrated on the older fronds, it might be just a natural aging process. You can cut away the older fronds and new fronds will develop at the crown of the plant. Just continue to give it good care and it should adjust. Then you can trim off the old dead fronds. Best wishes with your plant!