Should I cage a squash plant? - Knowledgebase Question

Graham, No
Question by aruscoe777
I am not sure if the plant flowers only at the original spot I planted or if it will flower further down the stem. I caged them to conserve spave, but if they only flower in the center, that might not be such a good idea because I may be blocking the sun by caging them??
Thanks,
Amy

0

As the squash vines grow they will develop flowers along the new growth. I don't think caging will stop them from growing, flowering or setting fruit, depending upon the size of the cage. I've grown squash vines up a teepee style structure (3 bamboo poles set two feet apart in a triangle over the plant), guiding and tying the vines so they grow upright. You might try that if garden space is at a premium. It will expose the vines and the fruit to sunshine to help them grow and mature a little faster. Best wishes with your squash.