deadheading petunias - Knowledgebase Question

Amherst, Ma
Question by Tccoleman
Hello,
I have removed spent petunia flowers to encourage more blooms for many years now. The plant still seems to get leggy and go to seed fairly quickly. However, it has just occured to me that I should be removing that seed pod below the flower as well. It still developes without the flower. Am I correct? Should I remove that also to encourage blooming?

0

Yes, when you deadhead petunias you should pinch off not only the entire flower, but some of the flowering stem, as well. Pinch if off close to the main stem where flowering stem is attached. This will promote bushyness because the plant will develop two new stems wherever you remove one stem. Good luck with your garden!