Flying insects - Knowledgebase Question

Greenville, Al
Avatar for marcycook200
Question by marcycook200
June 6, 2009
My house plants now have little black flying insects that hover around the soil. Can I do anything to get rid of them?

Answer from NGA
June 6, 2009
It sounds like a fungus gnat infestation. These are little flying insects that look a lot like fruit flies. They live in moist soil and breed at the soil surface. The best way to control them is to allow the top layer of the soil to dry completely between waterings. If the plants need a moister soil and thus more frequent watering, you could put a barrier on the soil surface to keep the pests from feeding and breeding in the soil. Try a layer of sand or some decorative rocks, or for a temporary barrier, seal the top with plastic wrap. Anything to keep the adults from laying eggs in the potting soil. This will eventually eliminate the pests. Or you can use a soil drench such as Gnatrol. Best wishes with your plants!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )