Mandevilla - Knowledgebase Question

Lillington, No
Question by retirerment5
I WAS GIVEN A MANDEVILLA TRELLIS BUSH AND I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT. NO HOW TO CARE FOR IT TAG WAS ON IT WHEN I RECEIVED IT. COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO TAKE CARE OF IT,AND ALSO WHAT CATEGORIES IS IT IN TREE,BUSH OR WHAT? THANKS RON

0

Your new mandevilla can grow outdoors in a sunny spot on a balcony, patio or porch during the summer months but it is a tropical, tender plant that survives outdoors only in the mildest climates. Since yours is in a container, you need only to bring it indoors when your weather begins to cool down. The best place to keep it indoors is in a sunny window. Mandevilla can be pruned down to about 3' without harm, but wait until it has acclimated to growing indoors before pruning it back. Begin now to help it become adjusted to living indoors by taking it inside during the night and taking it back outdoors during the day. Do this for about a week, leaving it inside for longer and longer periods of time. Wait a few weeks and then prune it down to a more manageable size. Mandevilla can grow to 12' as a vine, but it can be kept at about 3' with constant pinching and pruning. Since you'll be wintering your plant over each year, you'll probably want to keep it small. Under the right conditions of heat and light your Mandevilla will bloom indoors for you. Enjoy!