Watering and fertilizing evergreens - Knowledgebase Question

Naperville, Il
Question by bennychef
I have 6 newly planted,large 8-10'spruce(bought at HD)and want to know how often to water, should they be within sprinkler coverage and do i fertilize them now?

Also have 2nd year arborvitae that seem to be struggling a bit. Same question with water frequency and fertilizer.
thank you!

0

Most landscape trees and shrubs will be happy with one inch of water per week. I build watering basins beneath each of my newly installed trees and shrubs by mounding up a few inches of soil in a circle around the base of each plant. Fill the basin with water, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. This concentrates the moisture over the root system and allows it to trickle down, wetting the entire rootmass. Once a week usually does it. Evergreens can be fed each spring with an 8-8-8 or similar fertilizer formulated especially for evergreens. Apply in amounts as recommended on the package. Best wishes with your evergreens.