Container planting - Knowledgebase Question

St. Louis, Mi
Question by deetegel
I have two large urns that I intend to plant annuals in. Should I use something in the bottom of the urns to assist with drainage? If so, what do you suggest?

0

If the urns have no drainage, plant your annuals in containers that you can set just inside the urns. You can fill the urns with plastic bags full of styrofoam packing peanuts or empty sealed milk containers to take up space. Then find nursery pots that will fit into the tops of the urns. Use potting soil in the pots and plant your annuals. Then, when they need watering, remove the pots of plants from the urns, water thoroughly, allow excess water to drain, then set the pots back into the urns. Good luck with your annuals!