How to grow Celery - Knowledgebase Question

Castleton, VT
Question by jrussell1
I'd like to know the proceedure for growing celery. It is in the ground and stands about six to eight inches tall now.

0

Celery likes a rich, well-drained soil. It's a heavy feeder, and can use a lot of water during the growing season. If you didn't add fertilizer at planting time, sidedress the plants now with a 5-5-5 type fertilizer. Mulch the soil around the plants with straw or old hay to maintain soil moisture and keep the ground cool. Celery may need some shade during the peak of summer heat (though the way the weather's acting, I wonder when we'll see heat again!). During the growing season, give plants light side-dressing or foliar feeding once per month. And you should end up with luscious, crunchy, highly-flavored celery! Enjoy!