Ground Cover Seed - Knowledgebase Question

Yazoo City, MS
Avatar for bbook
Question by bbook
June 9, 1998
We just had a large area to the side of our house graded to smooth it out and make the slope more gentle. It is in full sun and, naturally, completely bare right now. I'd like to know if there is a ground cover for these conditions which could be started from seed, as plants for this large an area would be too expensive.

Answer from NGA
June 9, 1998
If you're looking for a perennial groundcover, try crownvetch. It is commonly used to stabilize grades on roadsides because it spreads quickly. Since it's a legume, it also fixes nitrogen from the air into the soil, enriching it for any future plants you might wish to grow there. It needs watering to get started, but once established, is quite drought tolerant. And it has beautiful pink blooms! You can get seed from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, PO Box 2209, Grass Valley CA 95945; ph# 888/784-1722 toll-free).

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Visual_Botanics and is called "Hidden Bird Bath"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.