Blueberries: suckers or canes? - Knowledgebase Question

Herndon, VA
Question by stephen_rusc
In reading your Q&A's on blueberries, I have seen new blueberry growth coming out of the ground referred to as suckers and as canes. My "suckers" started last year and grew to 20 inches. This year they leafed out again and continue growing. The "suckers" have neither flowers nor berries. The original plant stems have not grown but do have flowers and berries this year. What should I do to and expect from the suckers?

0

Many fruiting trees and shrubs develop suckers, but suckers are vigorous, non-productive growths and should be removed as soon as they appear. If not removed the plants will channel their energy into the developing suckers, rather than into the production of flowers and fruit. Cut the suckers from the plant and allow the more productive and more desireable parts of your plant to grow and thrive.