Pods on Iris - Knowledgebase Question

Waldorf, Ma
Question by gingerbyers
After my iris finished blooming they developed pods at the top. Are they seed pods that I can plant? If not, what are they?

0

They are seed pods and if you allow the seeds to ripen you can plant them. Not all of the seeds may be viable so I don't know how many new plants you might get. And, there's no telling what kind of iris will grow from the seeds. They were cross pollinated and may turn out to be something quite different than the parent. And, it can take several years for a plant grown from seed to flower. We usually recommend you cut off the flowering stem before seed pods develop. This way the energy will be redirected into the plant rather than be wasted on developing seeds. But, it's your call. Best wishes with your irises.