Is it safe to transplant plants before thunderstorms - Knowledgebase Question

Clayton, No
Question by jessmarroyo
I have several containerized plants that I would like to transplant. Thunderstorms are predicted for the next several days. Could this cause too much stress for the plants? I am especially concerned about some cosmos seedlings that are crowded and turning brown in their pot. I don't want them to die while I'm wating, but I don't want them to be flooded, either.

0

Wish I had an absolute answer for you, but you may just have to take your chances with the plants. While rain is good for new transplants, excessively wet soils can drown their roots. Only you know how well your soil drains after a rainstorm so I'm afraid you will need to decided whether or not to plant things. If you decide not to plant in the ground right now, you could transplant your overcrowded seedlings into a larger container to give them a few more weeks of growth opportunity before the weather clears and they can go in the ground. Good luck with your plants!